Subject: Re: bug#44847: [Petition] Add a dotnet 5.0 support

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2020 15:33:00 +0100

Hi,

Timothy Sample <[email-masked]> skribis:

> A quick glance around suggests that an older version of .NET is
> available for Fedora 32, and that Debian does not have a package yet.
> That’s at least promising, but Guix has stricter requirements than
> either of those two distributions.  Particularly, Guix tries to avoid
> packages that cannot be bootstrapped from source.  From the README of
> the repository you linked to:
>
>     Nearly all .NET Core repositories require the .NET Core SDK to
>     build. This is a circular dependency, which presents a bootstrapping
>     problem.
>
> This means that Guix is unlikely to accept .NET Core packages.  Because
> of that, I’m closing this bug.

Note that we do have a few compilers not bootstrapped from source, such
as GHC.  It’s clearly something we avoid as much as possible, though.

Has anyone looked into bootstrapping the Microsoft .NET code with Mono?

Ludo’.