Subject: bug#44834: Fix for failing indentation of Tcl procs nested in namespace

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 16:39:46 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
> 	[email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 08:39:12 -0500
> 
>   >   I agree that in
>   > principle "new or modified" covers that, but how many readers will
>   > immediately understand that "modified" doesn't include "deleted"?
> 
> The idea is to count lines in the new version which are added or
> modified.  If that is clear, you will see that it doesn't count
> anything from the old versin.

The problem is that most modern comparison tools show diffs where
there are no "changed" lines (the "!" mark of "diff -c"), they only
show "-" and "+", i.e. as if the edit distance is a sequence of just 2
operations: delete and add.  So "changed" doesn't have a clear and
immediate interpretation in terms of the presentation in diffs.

> If that is not clear, we do need to clarify it.  But real
> clarification calls for more than "deleted lines don't count".  It's,
> "Don't count _anything_ from the old code; count only the added and
> modified lines in the _patched_ code."

That's clear enough.  How about this text:

  Once the cumulative amount of your submissions exceeds about 10 lines
  of non-trivial changes, we will need you to assign to the FSF the
  copyright for your contributions.  (To see how many lines were
  non-trivially changed, count only added and modified lines in the
  patched code.  An added or changed line is non-trivial if it includes
  at least one identifier.)  Ask on [email-masked], and we will
  send you the necessary form together with the instructions to fill and
  email it, in order to start this legal paperwork.