Subject: Re: bug#44834: Fix for failing indentation of Tcl procs nested in namespace

From: Matt Armstrong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 08:03:35 -0800

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>   >   assign to the FSF the copyright for your contributions.  (If a
>>   >   line contains a symbol, consider it nontrivial.)  Ask on
>
> I don't quite understand what you mean by "if a line contains a symbol".
> Do you mean that strings or comments don't count?

Yes, "non-blank lines added/changed" seems preferable, simply because it
is clear and unambiguous.

 - I think Richard may have implied that a line with a symbol is a
   sufficient condition for nontriviality, but it isn't clear if
   intended it to be a necessary condition. I suspect he meant
   "sufficient", but I think many people would interpret it as a
   "necessary" condition.

 - The meaning of "symbol" is not immediately clear in non-lisp code
   such as C, makefiles, scripts, etc.

 - If a commit completely rewrites a long comment or doc string, should
   it be considered "trivial" for the purposes of copyright?