Subject: bug#44818: 27.0.91; wedged

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 01:01:10 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > You suggested to behave as if truncate-lines is turned on when we
  > discover a line whose rendering takes too long.  I'm saying that doing
  > so will prevent users from seeing more than a hundred or so characters
  > of every line, and hide the rest.

Yes, it would.  Wouldn't that be better than what happens now?

  > And that might be too drastic a
  > measure, because Emacs becomes slow on lines much longer than 100 or
  > 200 characters; a single very long line will only make it slow for
  > that single window-full.

I agree. different changes might give a superior result.  I'm not
arguing against that.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)