Subject: Re: [bug#44810] [PATCH v3] gnu: Add git-open.

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 14:00:15 -0500

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 12:17:32PM -0300, EuAndreh wrote:
> Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > It might cause trouble for users to propagate xdg-utils, but we'll cross
> > that bridge when we come to it. Guix isn't really that convenient for
> > shell scripts.
> 
> Why is that? If more than one package propagates xdg-utils, won't they
> all share the same xdg-utils?

Yes, if the entire profile was based on a Guix version that used the
same xdg-utils. But it's a design goal of Guix to allow profiles that
are a "mix" of versions.

> It would be a problem when to different builds of xdg-utils are
> propagated, and they become conflicting. Is that what you're referring
> to?

Yes. Sometimes this limitation is difficult to work around, especially
if the programming language of the packages in question doesn't easily
permit referring to dependencies — like the Unix shell language.