Subject: bug#44804: 28.0.50; loading EBDB using use-package is throwing error

From: Pankaj Jangid <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 23:57:10 +0530

Here is the error message, when I load ebdb using use-package

Error (use-package): Failed to parse package ebdb: Wrong type argument:
listp, require Disable showing Disable logging

My configuration is:

(use-package ebdb
  :ensure t
  :config
  (setq ebdb-mua-pop-up nil)
  :hook
  (emacs-startup . (progn
		     (require 'ebdb-gnus)
		     (require 'ebdb-message))))

Instead, I am now using this to prevent this above error:

(add-hook 'emacs-startup-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (progn
	      (defvar ebdb-mua-pop-up nil)
	      (require 'ebdb-gnus)
	      (require 'ebdb-message))))

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin20.1.0, NS appkit-2022.10 Version 11.0.1 (Build 20B29))
 of 2020-11-22 built on mb2.local
Repository revision: fb9326b45c769f83b619278eae41f680577d1b05
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2022
System Description:  macOS 11.0.1

Configured using:
 'configure LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/opt/ruby/lib
 CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/opt/ruby/include
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/local/opt/sqlite/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/libxml2/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/openssl/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/libffi/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/ruby/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG DBUS GLIB NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_IN.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  recentf-mode: t
  flymake-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  direnv-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t
  hs-minor-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-dbus dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo
parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader
emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml mm-decode mm-bodies mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail modus-operandi-theme pcase recentf
tree-widget wid-edit checkdoc lisp-mnt flymake-proc flymake
display-line-numbers paren hideshow init server init-ebdb warnings
init-eudc init-direnv direnv init-twitter twittering-mode xml
init-docker docker-compose-mode dockerfile-mode sh-script smie
executable init-markdown init-java init-kotlin flycheck-kotlin flycheck
dash gradle-mode compile s init-ruby init-python init-javascript
init-rust rust-mode rx thingatpt init-eglot init-esup esup esup-child
benchmark cl-extra help-mode init-org-extras init-flycheck
init-use-package diminish use-package use-package-ensure
use-package-delight use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key
use-package-core finder-inf init-elisp init-modeline init-flymake
init-dired dired dired-loaddefs init-website init-speedbar init-cedet
init-recentf init-diary init-date-time init-browser init-completion
init-org org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color
ring org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys
org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs init-prog init-crypto mml-sec mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 epa derived gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils text-property-search time-date
epg epg-config init-erc init-email init-ibuffer edmacro kmacro init-auth
init-looks init-keys info package easymenu browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
early-init tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 383261 10496)
 (symbols 48 31539 1)
 (strings 32 127504 2696)
 (string-bytes 1 3754850)
 (vectors 16 43024)
 (vector-slots 8 504670 30453)
 (floats 8 286 57)
 (intervals 56 332 0)
 (buffers 984 13))