Subject: bug#44799: 28.0.50; Calc: Meter not printed as \text in latex output

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 22:12:09 +0100

Mattias Engdegård <[email-masked]> writes:

> It seems to be a heuristic for distinguishing units from variables,
> both of which unfortunately have the same representation in Calc. We
> could make it more precise by looking in the unit table (and allow for
> prefixes), but it would mean that a variable 'm' would always look
> like a unit. I'm afraid I have no other good solution at hand.

Ah, so there can be a variable and a unit of the same name at the same
time?  I can s s a variable "m".  Is it good to allow this?  I mean it's
good that meters is "m" as expected but if someone wants to use "m" as a
variable in the same formula it necessarily gets ugly.

> For that matter, shouldn't units use \mathrm{} rather than \text{} ?

I dunno.  latex language mode has several submodes (see
`calc-latex-language'), but none of them uses that.

BTW, do you know (Bug#30231) why allowed characters in units are
restricted?

Thanks,

Michael.