Subject: Re: [bug#44775] [PATCH] WIP: Add gccemacs

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 23:22:55 +0100

Hi John,

On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 at 01:15, John Soo <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I was curious how fast this gccemacs branch might be, so I got it to
> compile.

Thanks!  This motivates me to resume what had been discussed here [1]:
be able to somehow run:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
 guix build emacs-magit emacs-foo emacs-bar --with-input=emacs=gccemacs
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

At least, have a package transformation that allow to rebuild all the
Emacs packages with the ’gccemacs’ VM instead of the current Emacs 27 one.

> It feels fast but there are bugs and the closure is huge. Also these
> patches do not use any of the parameterization machinery.

What do you mean by “parameterization machinery”?  The new
’with-parameter’ introduced here [2] or the package transformation that
replaces all the dependencies (explicit and implicit).

1: <https://yhetil.org/guix-bugs/[email-masked]/>
2: <https://yhetil.org/guix-devel/[email-masked]>

All the best,
simon