Subject: [bug#44775] [PATCH] WIP: Add gccemacs

From: John Soo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 07:06:46 -0800

Hi zimoun,

zimoun <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks!  This motivates me to resume what had been discussed here [1]:
> be able to somehow run:
>
>  guix build emacs-magit emacs-foo emacs-bar --with-input=emacs=gccemacs
>
> At least, have a package transformation that allow to rebuild all the
> Emacs packages with the ’gccemacs’ VM instead of the current Emacs 27 one.
>
>
>> It feels fast but there are bugs and the closure is huge. Also these
>> patches do not use any of the parameterization machinery.
>
> What do you mean by “parameterization machinery”?  The new
> ’with-parameter’ introduced here [2] or the package transformation that
> replaces all the dependencies (explicit and implicit).
>
>
> 1: <https://yhetil.org/guix-bugs/[email-masked]/>
> 2: <https://yhetil.org/guix-devel/[email-masked]>

I am referring to https://yhetil.org/guix-devel/[email-masked]

--with-parameter=gccemacs or similar seem to be required since the
native-comp branch requires a different source, configure flags, and
probably native-search-paths at least.

There appears to be a separate compiled artifact directory under
$out/lib/emacs/$version/native-lisp/$version-triple which has the
compiled native libraries (.eln files). That directory seems to not be
in the search path.  That appears to be causing the first error
I see. I am not sure which env variable would be tweaked to pick those
paths up.

Hope that helps!

John