Subject: bug#44763: Error when 'make'ing latest version of coreutils

From: Bernhard Voelker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 22:16:25 +0100

[adding Paul]

On 11/21/20 8:54 PM, Chris Elvidge wrote:
>    CC       test-nl_langinfo-mt.o
> test-nl_langinfo-mt.c: In function 'threadN_func':
> test-nl_langinfo-mt.c:185:1: error: no return statement in function 
> returning non-void [-Werror=return-type]
>   }
>   ^
> cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
> Makefile:6586: recipe for target 'test-nl_langinfo-mt.o' failed

I see the same with gcc-10.2.1 here.

It happens since:
  https://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/commit/?id=bd90572c031

Paul removed the return statement because Sun C 5.9 complains about it.

  static void *
  threadN_func (void *arg)
  {
    for (;;)
      {
        nl_langinfo (CODESET);   /* LC_CTYPE */    /* locale charmap */
        nl_langinfo (AM_STR);    /* LC_TIME */     /* locale -k am_pm */
        nl_langinfo (PM_STR);    /* LC_TIME */     /* locale -k am_pm */
        nl_langinfo (DAY_2);     /* LC_TIME */     /* locale -k day */
        nl_langinfo (DAY_5);     /* LC_TIME */     /* locale -k day */
        nl_langinfo (ALTMON_2);  /* LC_TIME */     /* locale -k alt_mon */
        nl_langinfo (ALTMON_9);  /* LC_TIME */     /* locale -k alt_mon */
        nl_langinfo (CRNCYSTR);  /* LC_MONETARY */ /* locale -k currency_symbol */
        nl_langinfo (RADIXCHAR); /* LC_NUMERIC */  /* locale -k decimal_point */
        nl_langinfo (THOUSEP);   /* LC_NUMERIC */  /* locale -k thousands_sep */
      }

    /*NOTREACHED*/
-   return NULL;
  }

How to fix?

Have a nice day,
Berny