Subject: bug#4476: 23.1; frame configuration,frame parameters - how about frame stacking order too?

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 00:07:34 -0700

Enhancement request:
 
A frame configuration saves the frame parameters of a set of
frames. This information records, for each frame, whether it is
visible, invisible, or iconified.
 
But it does not record the frame stacking order: which frames are in
front of which other frames. This is an important part of a user's
idea of what a frame configuration should be: Restoring a frame config
should restore the set of frames as they were when the config was
saved, including their positions front to back.
 
Feature request: Add this information to frame configs. Perhaps we
could add to each frame, as a frame parameter, its current stacking
order. Then we could perhaps make `set-frame-configuration' restore
this saved order.
 
I'm assuming this info can be obtained somehow from the window
manager. (I'm no expert on this.)
 
(I wonder too if we couldn't have a command to raise or lower a frame
just one notch at at time in the stacking order. Currently, we can
only raise it to the front or lower it to the back.)

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-07-29 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4)'