Subject: bug#44746: closed (Re: bug#44746: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] Noisy "*Warnings*" buffer shown on start)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 14:28:03 +0000

Your bug report

#44746: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] Noisy "*Warnings*" buffer shown on start

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
44746: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=44746
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#44746: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] Noisy "*Warnings*" buffer shown on start
From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 14:27:26 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 22:58:54 +0000
>> From:  Andrea Corallo via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> To complete this answer, ATM is possible to gate all warnings reported
>> by async native compilations leveraging the
>> `comp-async-report-warnings-errors' customize.
>> 
>> Is this sufficient to close this bug or do we like to discuss this
>> default?
>
> I think we can close this, yes.  Basically, you are saying that most
> of these warnings will go away once we get our act together and fix
> all the missing 'require's.

Exactly, consider that (I think) most of these warnings are coming from
packages non in emacs.git.  Code in emacs.git being regularly compiled
during the build process in a fresh enviroment is typically cleaner from
this prespective IME.

> Btw, I think the doc string of comp-async-report-warnings-errors could
> use some love: as it stands now, I needed to read the code where it is
> used to understand what it does, and why it is a defcustom.  Some of
> the explanation you, Andrea, wrote in this thread could find its way
> into the doc string and make it much more clear.

Right I tried with ad74b1b2b6, please have a look an let me know in
case.

>> My opinion (got it from the discussion on emacs-devel) is that at least
>> for now would be good to keep `comp-async-report-warnings-errors' to t
>> for the reason I've explained in the mail I'm quoting.
>
> Agreed.
>
> Thanks.

Closing this then.

Thanks

  Andrea

Subject: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] Noisy "*Warnings*" buffer shown on start
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 16:50:08 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Every time I start Emacs after recompilation or clearing cache, I see a
"*Warnings*" buffer popup in a new window, filled with a large amount of
warnings like these:

Warning (comp): debian-ispell.el:229:17: Warning: assignment to free
variable Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): debian-ispell.el:228:28: Warning: reference to free
variable ‘really-hunspell’ Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): debian-ispell.el:386:16: Warning: reference to free
variable Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): debian-ispell.el:392:16: Warning: reference to free
variable Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): debian-ispell.el:393:16: Warning: reference to free
variable Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): debian-ispell.el:403:24: Warning: assignment to free
variable Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): debian-ispell.el:403:20: Warning: reference to free
variable Disable showing Disable logging
[...]
Warning (comp): init-general.el:44:7: Warning: assignment to free
variable Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): init-general.el:45:7: Warning: assignment to free
variable Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): init-general.el:47:7: Warning: assignment to free
variable ‘Man-width’ Disable showing Disable logging
[...]

(The file init-general.el is required from my init file.)

To reproduce this, I would assume it is sufficient to either run Debian,
where the debian-ispell.el file is part of the site-files, or having an
init file requiring a file with, for example, the line:

    (setq display-time-24hr-format t) ; my line 47 above

I'm not exactly sure what the best course of action is here.  But
wouldn't it be better to not show this at all to users, unless they
explicitly ask for it?  As it stands, it is a bit too noisy and
in-your-face, I think.

(I also don't understand why the byte-compiler does not complain about
these variables.)