Subject: bug#44746: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] Noisy "*Warnings*" buffer shown on start

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 16:50:08 -0800

Every time I start Emacs after recompilation or clearing cache, I see a
"*Warnings*" buffer popup in a new window, filled with a large amount of
warnings like these:

Warning (comp): debian-ispell.el:229:17: Warning: assignment to free
variable Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): debian-ispell.el:228:28: Warning: reference to free
variable ‘really-hunspell’ Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): debian-ispell.el:386:16: Warning: reference to free
variable Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): debian-ispell.el:392:16: Warning: reference to free
variable Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): debian-ispell.el:393:16: Warning: reference to free
variable Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): debian-ispell.el:403:24: Warning: assignment to free
variable Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): debian-ispell.el:403:20: Warning: reference to free
variable Disable showing Disable logging
[...]
Warning (comp): init-general.el:44:7: Warning: assignment to free
variable Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): init-general.el:45:7: Warning: assignment to free
variable Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): init-general.el:47:7: Warning: assignment to free
variable ‘Man-width’ Disable showing Disable logging
[...]

(The file init-general.el is required from my init file.)

To reproduce this, I would assume it is sufficient to either run Debian,
where the debian-ispell.el file is part of the site-files, or having an
init file requiring a file with, for example, the line:

    (setq display-time-24hr-format t) ; my line 47 above

I'm not exactly sure what the best course of action is here.  But
wouldn't it be better to not show this at all to users, unless they
explicitly ask for it?  As it stands, it is a bit too noisy and
in-your-face, I think.

(I also don't understand why the byte-compiler does not complain about
these variables.)