Subject: Re: bug#44743: native-comp: confirm-exit-emacs warns about active processes when compiling

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 09:05:48 +0200

> From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,
>         Lars
>  Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 22:51:00 +0000
> 
> IIUC this bug is "just" about deciding what's the best default behavior
> regarding requiring confirmation or not for killing running async
> compile processes when exiting Emacs.

Yes, mostly.

> As my understanding is that Eli's preference is matching the current
> implementation (requiring it) I'm wondering if we can close this bug.

It is fine with me to close the bug and leave this for later, when the
branch is merged, and we have more user experience.  We could reopen
the bug at that time.

A better solution, from my POV, given the controversy, is to provide a
defcustom for this, and then I'm okay with making silently killing the
compilation the default.  I thought it would leave everyone happy.
For some reason, Lars and Stefan are against even that, so I hesitate
to even ask you, Andrea, to add such a defcustom if you have time.