Subject: Re: bug#44743: native-comp: confirm-exit-emacs warns about active processes when compiling

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 11:22:58 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > Expected result: No prompt is shown.  The native-comp processes are
>> > recognized and killed automatically.
>>
>> I agree this would be nice to have.
>
> FWIW, I think this should be controlled by a user option.  It is not
> at all obvious that everyone would like compilation processes to be
> killed automatically, people might want to wait for them to complete.

Compiling in the background should in my opinion work as transparently
as possible.  The fact that we cache compilation results should be
considered an implementation detail.  We don't need to shape our
outwardly behavior by such implementation details.

We could of course support what you suggest.  I'm not against it as an
option.  But I don't think it is very important, and it would take some
time and effort to implement and maintain.  I'm not sure that effort is
well-spent at this point, and would rather leave it for the future.

IOW, I think we should work on reasonable defaults first, and only add
options in later once we are sure that we really need them.