Subject: Re: bug#44717: ISO grub config points to nonexistent drive UUID.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 18:17:40 +0100

Hi Jesse,

Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> For example, if you pick
>> <https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guix-system-install-1.2.0rc1.x86_64-linux.iso.xz>,
>> it boots just fine.  In the GRUB menu entry (type ‘e’ in the menu), you
>> can see both the DCE UUID for ‘--root’ and the ISO UUID for ‘search.fs’,
>> which are actually the same.

[...]

> guix system disk-image -t iso9660 --root=$(mktemp -p /tmp -d
> install.XXX)/install-x86.iso --system=i686-linux
> gnu/system/install.scm
>
> and I mounted the ISO itself and took a look at it. The grub.conf
> specifies both UUIDs as you described.
>
> When I try it on a VM, it opens a repl with a completely different
> error which I'm too lazy to type out by hand. See attached screenshot.

Do you observe the same problem with the image I linked to above?  It’s
built with ‘guix system disk-image -t iso9660 --label=GUIX…
gnu/system/install.scm’.

The error you sent looks as if it’s trying to mount the root file system
read/write.

Thinking about it: does it work if you pass ‘--volatile’ on the
‘disk-image’ command line?  This flag was added recently on ‘master’
(commit 41f27bf8702838f19b1dc5ffee8eec1d4315d4e6), so perhaps what
you’re seeing is a regression here.

Maxim, could it be that we need (volatile-root? #t) for the ISO9660
image type and/or passing ‘--volatile’ in Makefile.am (‘release’ target)
and updating the “Building the Installation Image” node of the manual?

Thanks,
Ludo’.