Subject: bug#44703: Inadequate documentation of dejagnu.exp

From: Jacob Bachmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 21:57:47 -0600

Robert Menteer via Bug-dejagnu via wrote:
> Section 5.1 implies each unit test is batch process. Section 5.2 
> states that dejagnu.exp can be used for testing the batch processes 
> for unit testing. Section 4.6 says to look examine the GNU GCC 
> testsuite for how to write test for batch processes.

When referring to the manual, please include the titles of the sections; 
the section numbering has recently changed and will continue to change 
as the manual is reorganized.

> The section on using dejagnu.exp states little TCL is needed but the 
> GNU GCC tests have thousands of lines of TCL. It took me many days 
> before I finally did «find / -name dejagnu.exp» and looked to see how 
> to write an xxx.exp file for a unit test.
>
> Please document how to use the procedures in dejagnu.exp and supply a 
> minimal unit test xxx.exp file like the one below.

In current Git master (soon to be a 1.6.3-rc), there is a chapter 6 
"Unit Testing" and additional improvements to the existing unit test 
support in dejagnu.h are a notable item currently planned for 1.6.4.

> load_lib dejagnu.exp
> host_execute $srcdir/unit-code/t_opts

I believe that the current manual adequately explains this, but I will 
add a note to my TODO list for the ongoing larger manual restructuring.

Closing report as already fixed; not in current master.

-- Jacob