Subject: bug#44689: 28.0.50; Use appropriate face for Flymake unknown backend

From: Protesilaos Stavrou <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 07:38:43 +0200

On 2020-11-16, 23:20 +0100, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Protesilaos Stavrou <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> The attached patch changes fontification to 'mode-line-emphasis', which
>> is a face that is specifically designed for drawing attention to such
>> indicators.
>
> I'm not sure why it's useful to draw attention to this bit in the mode
> line, though.  Is that something users would find useful to have their
> attentions drawn to?

Perhaps João can answer your question (in cc).

The current design draws a lot of attention to itself when the modeline
is inactive, because it inherits the style of the active modeline---so
it gets a box property and a different background.

'mode-line-emphasis' just feels like a more suitable choice for a face,
if emphasis in the mode line is the ultimate goal.  Otherwise I would
personally prefer no face whatsoever.

-- 
Protesilaos Stavrou
protesilaos.com