Subject: bug#44676: [PATCH 2/4] Support native compilation of packages on install

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 12:07:42 -0800

Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]> writes:

>> +(defcustom package-native-compile t
>> +  "Non-nil means to native compile packages on installation."
>> +  :type '(boolean)
>> +  :risky t
>> +  :version "28.1")
>
> I don't have a strong feeling but I'm really not convinced this should
> be t by default.  Despite personal preferences the nil equivalent of
> this is what we already do for vast majority of the .el distributed with
> Emacs. WDYT?

I don't have a strong opinion.

Since I recompile Emacs frequently, I would likely want to set this to
nil, but I assume most users would just use whatever comes with their
distro.  So perhaps a t value makes more sense for most users.

That said, I'm happy with introducing the variable set to a nil value.
We have time to change it later when we can think about it some more,
and get experience with it.  So I'll change it as you suggest (and
update the NEWS entry accordingly).

> Otherwise LGTM

Thanks.