Subject: bug#44676: [PATCH] Support native compilation of packages on install

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 12:03:24 -0800

Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]> writes:

>>     (native-compile-async "foo.el")
>>     (load "foo.el")
>
> The issue is that this does a different thing, if foo.el was never byte
> compiled you will endup with only the non compiled (nor byte or native)
> definitions as the load happes before the async compilation has finished.

So the eln wouldn't be loaded once it is done compiling, unless you
specify the explicit LOAD parameter?  If this is the case, I think I
agree with you that we should definitely keep the LOAD parameter.

However, perhaps we could make the LOAD parameter a simple boolean in
the user-facing `native-compile-async' function?  I.e., we hide away
`late' for internal use only.

> I'd prefer to keep it as late.  Late load is a mechanism that is not
> strictly related to bytecode (even if now we issue it in relation to
> that) and in the code is referred as late-load in multiple palces I
> believe.  Also late is shorter than after-bytecode :)

OK, sounds good to me.