Subject: Re: bug#44675: guix lint: support for spellchecker or basic grammar

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 06:55:44 +0100

Hi Vagrant,

On Sun, 15 Nov 2020 at 17:53, Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Please consider a guix lint description/synopsis check for basic
> spelling, typo and rudimentary grammar issues.
>
> Most of the ones I've found were caught by debian's "lintian" tool:
>
>   https://tracker.debian.org/lintian

[...]

> Many of these are likely to be caught by most spell checking routines;
> I'm not sure if there is anything that would be implementable in pure
> guile, or it if would make sense to call out to an external
> spellchecker.

The tool is ’spellintian’ [1], right?  If yes, the work seems done by
[2] but I am not sure to understand if it is only regexp and Perl or if
an external tool is called.  And the list in debian/control is not very
helpful.

1:
https://salsa.debian.org/lintian/lintian/-/blob/master/bin/spellintian
2:
https://salsa.debian.org/lintian/lintian/-/blob/master/lib/Lintian/Spelling.pm 

> That is, of course, if "guix lint" is being used consistently... :)

It should be! :-)

All the best,
simon