Subject: 28.0.50; 'ç' key on BR-ABNT2 keyboard translates to strange symbols

From: YohananDiamond <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 20:58:39 -0300

Hello! I use emacs with evil-mode, a minor mode package that adds vim-ish
keybindings for navigation and editing text. I have a BR-ABNT2 keyboard
and noticed my workflow would get more efficient if I bound the ç key to
what the : key would normally do. And so I did. But I noticed that, if I
enter a terminal frame and the first key to be typed is ç, strange
characters appear on the screen (usually a combination of Ã, § and
\247). This is probably an encoding-related problem but I don't know how
to proceed.

Note: I've tested the bug on a fresh emacsclient (emacs --daemon -Q &&
emacsclient -t) and a standalone emacs terminal frame (emacs -Q -nw) and
it happens in both, even without loading any personal init.el file.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.21,
cairo version 1.17.3)
 of 2020-07-31 built on core
Repository revision: fbe363f5e18fb4975de168191f1ee9b686e48d9f
Repository branch: master
System Description: Arch Linux

Recent messages:
Cleaning up the recentf list...done (6 removed)
Unable to load color "brightpurple"
Unable to load color "brightred" [2 times]
Unable to load color "brightcyan"
Unable to load color "brightpurple" [2 times]
Unable to load color "brightred" [2 times]
Quit
Quit
Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-sound=alsa --with-modules --without-gconf --without-gsettings
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --without-xaw3d --without-compress-install
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -flto'
 CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD JSON
PDUMPER LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  recentf-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  global-display-line-numbers-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  global-evil-surround-mode: t
  evil-surround-mode: t
  evil-commentary-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  xclip-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  ivy-rich-mode: t
  ivy-mode: t
  global-magit-file-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  global-visual-line-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/xscheme hides
/usr/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/progmodes/xscheme

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail mule-util recentf tree-widget
wid-edit main base16-theme conf-general ace-window avy hl-line paren
elec-pair display-line-numbers conf-kb conf-fmodes cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs conf-evil evil-magit evil-surround
evil-commentary evil-commentary-integration evil evil-keybindings
evil-integration undo-tree evil-maps evil-commands reveal flyspell
ispell evil-jumps evil-command-window evil-types evil-search evil-ex
evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states evil-core evil-common windmove
thingatpt rect evil-digraphs evil-vars conf-packages xclip origami
origami-parsers rx cl which-key ivy-rich counsel xdg xref project
compile swiper ivy delsel ivy-faces ivy-overlay colir color
magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog
magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote
magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag
magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status
magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu
magit-diff smerge-mode diff diff-mode magit-core magit-autorevert
autorevert filenotify magit-margin magit-transient magit-process
magit-mode git-commit transient format-spec magit-git magit-section
magit-utils crm log-edit message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822
mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev
mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log with-editor
async-bytecomp advice async shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring
server auto-complete-config auto-complete edmacro kmacro popup
rainbow-delimiters visual-regexp auto-package-update easy-mmode bind-map
core-rifle core-misc pcase core-style core-packages f dash s cl-extra
help-mode use-package-ensure use-package-core core-init finder-inf info
package easymenu browse-url url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 357204 37428)
 (symbols 48 28422 2)
 (strings 32 114042 2952)
 (string-bytes 1 3307905)
 (vectors 16 40702)
 (vector-slots 8 448939 14850)
 (floats 8 203 510)
 (intervals 56 317 13)
 (buffers 992 11))