Subject: Re: bug#44669: Shepherd loses track of elogind

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 18:49:28 +0100

Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Hi Marius,
>>
>> Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> skribis:
>>
>>> On a newly-installed i7 system, Shepherd believes that the "elogind"
>>> service is not running.  Yet there is an 'elogind-daemon' process,
>>> spawned by PID 1, preventing subsequent "herd start elogind" invocations
>>> from succeeding.
>>
>> Could you show the relevant /var/log/messages bits?  That should show
>> when/why elogind stopped.
>
> Indeed.  It was because I had 'sddm-service-type' configured, which
> attempted to communicate with "org.freedesktop.login1" over D-Bus, which
> in turn autostarted elogind before shepherd had gotten around to it.

Interestingly I suspected this exact scenario and checked the PPID of
the running elogind process, which was '1'.  When I then found that
adding #:pid-file worked, I did not bother checking the log ...

I would have expected D-Bus to be the parent PID.