Subject: bug#44664: 28.0.50; troubles with some chars in term

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 20:14:05 +0200

> Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 18:37:13 +0300
> From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
>   [email-masked]
> 
> > So yes, in that original screenshot some characters are wider than 1
> > column.  But shouldn't the Lisp program which produces this display
> > take the character widths into account?
> > 
> > Failing that, I don't see how this could be fixed, because  no single
> > font could support too many scripts, and if the user reads email in
> > many different languages, they will eventually bump into some script
> > which needs a different font.
> 
> I was thinking you would know how terminals are solving that problem

I don't even know everything about Emacs solutions to various problems
we have to solve, how do you expect me to know what terminal emulators
do, when that's not the code I'm familiar with?

If someone wants to investigate how the terminal emulators solve this
and describe that here, that would be welcome, and might give us some
new ideas.

> My font in XTerm is same as in Emacs, DejaVu Sans Mono.

That doesn't seem to be the case, since the character glyphs in Emacs
and in xterm look different.  But maybe I'm missing something.