Subject: bug#44664: 28.0.50; troubles with some chars in term

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 18:37:13 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> [2020-11-18 18:11]:
> > From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> > Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 09:45:00 +0100
> > 
> > As Andreas says, it's basically a font problem.
> 
> Hmm...?
> 
> > Here's how it's displayed in Emacs:
> 
> Oh, you two were talking about the original screenshot presented in
> this bug?  I was talking about the last one, where I cannot see any
> wide characters, only octal escapes.
> 
> So yes, in that original screenshot some characters are wider than 1
> column.  But shouldn't the Lisp program which produces this display
> take the character widths into account?
> 
> Failing that, I don't see how this could be fixed, because  no single
> font could support too many scripts, and if the user reads email in
> many different languages, they will eventually bump into some script
> which needs a different font.

I was thinking you would know how terminals are solving that problem
and that Emacs terminal would be programmed to follow same methods,
only that some functionality is missing.

Those characters are not displayed in any external terminals and I do
not get distorted screen.

My font in XTerm is same as in Emacs, DejaVu Sans Mono.

I am attaching the file to this email that you may try to debug
it. Many people started using the external dynamic module while term
in Emacs is functioning pretty well, it needs just some enhancements.

To open this file, one does:

$ mutt -f 2002-06