Subject: bug#44664: 28.0.50; troubles with some chars in term

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 17:11:02 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 09:45:00 +0100
> 
> As Andreas says, it's basically a font problem.

Hmm...?

> Here's how it's displayed in Emacs:

Oh, you two were talking about the original screenshot presented in
this bug?  I was talking about the last one, where I cannot see any
wide characters, only octal escapes.

So yes, in that original screenshot some characters are wider than 1
column.  But shouldn't the Lisp program which produces this display
take the character widths into account?

Failing that, I don't see how this could be fixed, because  no single
font could support too many scripts, and if the user reads email in
many different languages, they will eventually bump into some script
which needs a different font.