Subject: bug#44664: 28.0.50; troubles with some chars in term

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 11:05:10 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I imagined shrinking the width of a glyph would mean just throwing away
>> some vertical lines, or specify a transformation matrix, or something.
>> (I have not looked at the code, as you can tell.)
>
> We can easily clip the glyph, yes.  I don't know how legible will the
> result be.  Transformation matrices is not something I'd love to use
> here.
>
> Eventually, we need to see how many characters, if any, exhibit this
> problem.  Maybe the issue is minor.

I think in this test case, with the Ѿ character coming from DejaVu Sans
(while the other characters come from DejaVu Sans Mono), the results of
just clipping will be kinda ugly.  But it's worth a shot and see how it
looks in practice -- perhaps it'll be good enough.

I really wonder what gnome-terminal is really doing here.  I downloaded
the sources, but it looks like all the magic happens down in the Pango
libraries.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no