Subject: [bug#44656] [PATCH] Upgrade pypy3

From: Lars-Dominik Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 16:25:29 +0200

Hi zimoun,

> What do you mean?  Using ’package-with-explicit-python’ on a package
> will replace the Python used by the ’python-build-system’ for all the
> dependencies.  Modulo the issues what C extension, if one wants the
> Python packages bytecompiled with PyPy, using a manifest containing:
true, that’s what I meant and why I mentioned Python 2 (we used to do it
for every single Python 2 package, so they are installable on their own).

> …similarly as replacing the Emacs VM [0], I guess some packages
> will be broken.  Well, for instance if some packages use
> ’python-minimal’ instead of ’python’, the replacement will not happen.
> Last, is it an issue to rewrite too much?
Yes, rewriting too much is a problem, because Python is used alot you
end up rebuilding everything, starting from the bootstrap binaries. And
then it’s not even sure you’ll be able to build all the way up to the
package you actually want, because our Python and PyPy packages actually
implement different versions of the Python language/standard library
(3.8 vs 3.7).

Cheers,
Lars