Subject: bug#44644: /tmp/emacs0/ not cleaned up upon exit

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 06:42:47 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> True.  Looking at the code, it looks like having `server-start' add
>> `server-force-delete' to `kill-emacs-query-functions' would do the
>> trick?
>> 
>> Does anybody see any downsides to doing that?
>
> What if the Emacs that's being killed is not the one that created the
> server file?

I didn't read the code closely enough -- emacs-server already does this,
but only deletes the /tmp/emacs0/server socket, but leaves the directory
behind.  As you say, there may be more than one server (with different
names), so deleting the directory may fail, but the final Emacs that
exits should successfully delete directory, at least, and I've added
that to Emacs 28.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no