Subject: bug#44638: [PATCH 1/2] autorevert: don't reuse existing watch descriptors

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2020 16:17:01 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> As expected, it takes more time. Currently I'm writing a test case which
>> covers the problem. This must run then for different backends with and
>> w/o your patch, at least inotify, gfilenotify and kqueue. If possible
>> also for w32notify.
>
> Thanks, let me know if I can help with the latter.

I've pushed a new test of autorevert-tests.el to master,
auto-revert-test07-auto-revert-several-buffers. It ought to cover the
scenario described in this report. It passes for me with the inotify,
gfilenotify and kqueue backends, which is fine. There are some problems
with remote backends (inotifywait and gio), but since there are also
problems with other tests, I wouldn't count on these failures for the
propsed patch.

Eli, could you run autorevert-test on MS Windows, for the w32notify
backend? Either a complete run, or just

$ make -C test autorevert-tests SELECTOR=auto-revert-test07-auto-revert-several-buffers

Thanks, and best regards, Michael.