Subject: 28.0.50; ansi-term, term, observing not withdrawing when editing with emacsclient within

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 15:53:09 +0300

I am observing various lacks of redrawing the screen in ansi-term and
term

Setup is following:

- M-x server-start
- M-x ansi-term
- $ mutt
- :set editor=emacsclient

When I then edit files with emacsclient within the term or ansi-term
editing take place in one frame. When I then finish the process of
editing, I am returning to frame.

Then on the frame happens something, or maybe it does not
withdraw. First I was thinking it is mutt that does not redraw the
screen.

I have observed if I use editor as "emacsclient -c" to create new frame
and then return to screen, this of course does not happen.

Then I have observed that if it does happen that terminal is not
redrawn, all what I have to do is go to one buffer right or left with
windmove, and when I go back the screen is then redrawn and visible.

Kevin, author of Mutt, says:

It seems likely that whatever you have `$editor` set to is not waiting
for the editing process to finish before exiting.  Perhaps, just as a
test, try setting $editor to 'vim' or 'nano' or something.

Please see reference:
https://gitlab.com/muttmua/mutt/-/issues/298#note_445792721

This does not happen always, it happens about 30% of times. It takes
place in term, ansi-term and also in outside package and dynamic module
vterm. It is happening only when I use emacsclient within the Emacs
terminal to edit.

Another related issue maybe that ansi-term with text adjusted starts
behaving weird. It does not update maybe number of rows or columns
correctly.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.14.8, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2020-11-14 built on
 protected.rcdrun.com Repository revision:
 31f94e4b1c3dc201646ec436d3e2c477f784ed21 Repository branch: master
 Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version
 11.0.11907000 System Description: Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/package/text/emacs-2020-11-14 --with-modules
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER
LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=exwm-xim
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort hashcash mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search
time-date subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces
cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 55423 10048)
 (symbols 48 7305 0)
 (strings 32 20247 2104)
 (string-bytes 1 648118)
 (vectors 16 12915)
 (vector-slots 8 223911 18144)
 (floats 8 26 25)
 (intervals 56 239 0)
 (buffers 992 11))

-- 
Thanks,
Jean Louis
⎔ λ 🄯 𝍄 𝌡 𝌚