Subject: bug#44629: 28.0.50; Eglot noisy with gfm-view-mode and view-read-only

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 11:15:48 +0000

"Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]> writes:

> The echo area is now taken over by the view-mode-enter message
> "View mode: type C-h for help, h for commands, q to quit."
>
> This message also appears at various other stages of editing, but when
> hovering over variables or flymake errors it seems to be the last one
> standing in the echo area.
>
> This happens because eglot--format-markup calls gfm-view-mode, which in
> turn enables read-only-mode, which in turn calls view-mode-enter.
>
> I can't disable this by setting view-read-only or
> view-inhibit-help-message locally, since Eglot does its doc processing
> in a different buffer.
>
> Perhaps Eglot could/should bind view-inhibit-help-message around
> gfm-view-mode?  Any other ideas?

I tried advising eglot--format-markup to bind view-inhibit-help-message,
which gets rid of the most annoying messages, but some still seem to
emanate from jsonrpc, which calls read-only-mode in
jsonrpc-events-buffer and initialize-instance.  I'd rather not have to
rely on advising internal functions, but maybe I can't have my cake and
eat it, too.  ;)

-- 
Basil