Subject: bug#44624: 28.0.50; C-h f fails with search failed "*\n"

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 00:09:00 +0300

I cannot in this git version invoke C-h f as it fails each time.

C-h f for find-file says: help-fns--first-release: Search failed: "
*"

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 29, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.14.8, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2020-11-13 built on protected.rcdrun.com
Repository revision: 206dd9d5923d5db7b44a1bf67e6ec61c027ab1d2
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11907000
System Description: Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/package/text/emacs-2020-11-13 --with-modules
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=lucid'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER
LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=exwm-xim
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort hashcash mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util
time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode gmm-utils mailheader shortdoc
text-property-search eieio-opt cl-extra speedbar ezimage dframe
find-func mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev mailalias rmail rmail-loaddefs
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
cconv sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
thingatpt help-fns radix-tree help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs cl-lib
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 70683 4419)
 (symbols 48 7925 1)
 (strings 32 25007 2180)
 (string-bytes 1 741687)
 (vectors 16 12811)
 (vector-slots 8 176272 11371)
 (floats 8 77 16)
 (intervals 56 260 5)
 (buffers 992 13))

-- 
Thanks,
Jean Louis
⎔ λ 🄯 𝍄 𝌡 𝌚