Subject: Re: bug#44614: 26.3; bibtex convert case undefined

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 17:33:26 +0100

Francesco Potortì <[email-masked]> writes:

> An old version of bibtex.el (last copyright 1997) uniquified cases based
> on the bibtex-unify-case-convert variable, which is now removed.
>
> This is unfortunate, and in my opinion a bug.

I tried to poke around to see whether there's any reason the variable
was removed, but I can't find any mention of it in the Emacs tree, so
it's possible that the in-tree version of bibtex.el never had the
variable?

> Looking at the old code, I see that the current behaviour is the same as
> the old 'identity value for the mentioned variable.  I am working on a
> local patch for reverting to the old behaviour.  After I finish, I can
> provide it, if there is any hope of it to be accepted.
>
> Here is the old definition:
>
> (defcustom bibtex-unify-case-convert 'downcase
>   "*Function called when unifying case on entry and field names.
> This variable is buffer-local."

Sure; I think (re-)introducing such a variable would make sense.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no