Subject: bug#44611: Prefix arg for xref-goto-xref

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 23:24:23 +0200

On 23.12.2020 22:30, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> If you want to continue this discussion, please drop the attitude and
> try to see the issue from my POV.  Otherwise I see no reason to
> continue, as I've-been-there-done-that too many times.

Could you try seeing it from my POV?

This is the first time I've heard about a rule like that regarding key 
bindings (and not just changes in existing functions, ones that would 
break existing configurations and third-party code). If I knew about it, 
I wouldn't have approved that key binding in the first place, those 4 
years ago. Because "we can't change it later" is a pretty high standard 
for acceptance.

And now it feels like you're like changing the rules under my feet. It's 
not a good way to make a subsystem maintainer feel.

Since there apparently was some sort of misunderstanding here, could we 
maybe proceed like this:

- You allow me the change of this binding, this one time.
- You add some documentation to our "best practices" somewhere, which 
describes this rule, so that I/we can be careful in the future with 
additions to new keybindings, and with changes to existing ones.

And if that rule is documented already, could you please point it out?