Subject: Re: bug#44610: 27.1; Keyboard Macro Performance Problem

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 18:24:48 +0200

> Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 19:03:11 +0300
> From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Robert Thorpe <[email-masked]>,
>   [email-masked]
> 
> I am not the initial reporter. I have tested it in python-mode in
> plain emacs -Q with the latest development version:
> 
> - command-execute                                          20,601,881  99%
>  - call-interactively                                      20,601,881  99%
>   - funcall-interactively                                  19,934,160  96%
>    - kmacro-end-or-call-macro                              15,337,767  74%
>     - kmacro-call-macro                                    15,337,767  74%
>      - call-last-kbd-macro                                 15,242,727  73%
>       - command-execute                                    15,102,838  73%
>        - call-interactively                                15,021,006  72%
>         - funcall-interactively                            14,985,294  72%
>          - next-line                                       13,970,433  67%
>           - line-move                                      13,968,321  67%
>            - line-move-visual                              12,842,225  62%
>             - vertical-motion                               9,925,619  48%
>              - jit-lock-function                            9,925,619  48%
>               - jit-lock-fontify-now                        9,925,619  48%
>                - jit-lock--run-functions                    7,165,300  34%
>                 - run-hook-wrapped                          7,157,012  34%
>                  - #<compiled 0x5b100c193163db5>            7,157,012  34%
>                   - font-lock-fontify-region                7,157,012  34%
>                    - font-lock-default-fontify-region       7,153,844  34%
>                     - font-lock-fontify-keywords-region     5,169,903  25%

Thanks, this seems to indicate that the mode's fontifications take the
lion's share of the time.  Which explains why Fundamental mode doesn't
suffer from this problem.