Subject: bug#446: flyspelling in the minibuffer

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 03:17:23 +0800

>>>>> "KY" == Katsumi Yamaoka <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>>> In [emacs-w3m : No.10242] [email-masked] wrote:
>> Help, I'm constantly misspelling things in the
>> TEXT:
>> entry box because flyspell is disabled there, causing badly spelled
>> words not to turn red, etc. What can I do? It's making me look bad to
>> my peers.

KY> (add-hook 'minibuffer-setup-hook
KY> 	  (lambda ()
KY> 	    (if (string-equal (minibuffer-prompt) "TEXT: ")
KY> 		(flyspell-mode 1))))

KY> There may be a better solution though.

OK, works good, (except there is a little awkwardness when one uses
M-TAB (flyspell-auto-correct-word,) which flashes a list right there
in the minibuffer for one second) but that's better than nothing. I'll
post to bug-gnu-emacs to ask them to don't flash that list of
corrections in the minibuffer, but perhaps at the top of the screen
instead, or turn it off optionally or something to stop the battle for
the minibuffer.

I see an apparently unused
  flyspell-minibuffer-p is a compiled Lisp function in `flyspell.el'.

By the way, let's take a look at the Corrections list,
www ESC TAB gives
Corrections: wow wow WWW www wow WWW www wow WWW www wow WWW www wow WWW www wow
as seen with C-h e (view-echo-area-messages).
Well, that's obviously broken.
Doing <escape> <tab> <escape> <tab> ...
shows that it just rotates among "wow WWW www", therefore it need not
fill out the whole line in "art for art's sake" style, making the
unwary eye think there are 17 corrections when there are only three.