Subject: bug#4459: 23.1; ERC customize does not hide password from view

From: Michael Olson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 10:09:31 -0700

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> If I use the Customize mode to set a password for ERC to try
>> automatically, Customize does not hide the password from
>> view. (Incidentally, I can't hide the password from view by clicking
>> the relevant show/hide arrow afterwards, either - it refuses to hide
>> anything.)
>
>> To reproduce this, in ERC major mode (reachable with M-x erc), choose
>> Customize from the ERC menu. Then choose the Erc Services group. Then,
>> under "Erc Nickserv Passwords:", press the INS button and choose some
>> Network name. Press the INS buton under "Nickname and password:" and
>> enter some arbitrary nickname and password. The password is visible on
>> the screen (unlike when ERC prompts for a password itself, when it
>> hides the password by printing periods instead of the actual password
>> characters).
>
> I'm afraid this is not really feasible to fix, because of the way
> Customize is designed.

Would it make sense for me to turn this variable into a defvar instead
of a defcustom, so that users can't accidentally set it in their emacs
init file?

-- 
Michael Olson  ||  http://mwolson.org/
Projects: Emacs, Muse, ERC, EMMS