Subject: 26.3; doc strings of functions `isearch--state-*' are too long

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 10:39:32 -0800 (PST)

For example: `C-h f isearch--state-case-fold-search':

 isearch--state-case-fold-search is a compiled Lisp function in
 'isearch.el'.

 (isearch--state-case-fold-search CL-X)

 This function has a compiler macro 'isearch--state-case-fold-search--cmacro'.

 Access slot "case-fold-search" of `(isearch--state (:constructor nil) (:copier nil) (:constructor isearch--get-state (&aux (string isearch-string) (message isearch-message) (point (point)) (success isearch-success) (forward isearch-forward) (other-end isearch-other-end) (word isearch-regexp-function) (error isearch-error) (wrapped isearch-wrapped) (barrier isearch-barrier) (case-fold-search isearch-case-fold-search) (pop-fun (if isearch-push-state-function (funcall isearch-push-state-function))))))' struct CL-X.
 This function does not change global state, including the match data.

That "Access slot" line is 517 chars long!

Lest you say that no one should ever consult the doc of an "internal"
function (with which I strongly disagree, anyway), consider a command
that shows you, as completion candidates, doc strings of all function
names matching your input.

`apropos-function' itself compensates, by filling the value.  But we
have a convention about doc-string line lengths, and 517 chars is, well
far beyond the limit.

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2019-08-29
Repository revision: 96dd0196c28bc36779584e47fffcca433c9309cd
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.18362
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''