Subject: Re: bug#44580: DejaGnu runtest not found of site.exp exists

From: Jacob Bachmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 20:56:09 -0600

Robert Menteer via Bug-dejagnu via wrote:
> What I found by running runtest by hand is it fails if the file 
> site.ext exists.

Your site.exp file is invalid; this is a bug in Automake rather than a 
bug in DejaGnu.  The version of Automake that produced the Makefile.in 
that you are using mishandles filenames containing spaces.  Tcl requires 
a value containing spaces to be properly quoted in a "set" command, and 
Automake is producing a site.exp that does not contain those quotes for 
the objdir variable.

An immediate workaround is to run `sed -e '/^set [^ ]*dir [^"]/{s/dir 
/&"/;s/$/"/}' -i site.exp` (tested with GNU sed) to fix your site.exp 
file, or to avoid building in a directory where the absolute filename 
contains spaces.

Additionally, as of commit b53b22c29880f785ae5e9e1c72925d2583a4c76d 
(after 1.6.2 was released) DejaGnu no longer loads site.exp when invoked 
with the --version option.

Please try regenerating your Makefile.in with a newer Automake or report 
this as a bug in Automake if you are already using the latest version.

I am closing this report as NOTOURBUG.

-- Jacob