Subject: bug#44578: AW: bug#44578: Investigating current preview problem

From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2022 11:48:27 +0100

Hi all,

Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]> writes:

> I can reproduce on TeX Live what Hugo and Tobias say.
>
> It seems that the usage of "example-image" is the source of trouble. In
> that case, I find in the log that "example-image.tex" is read in, not
> "example-image.eps".
>
>> I have no clue about pstools, so I copied the image next to the tex file
>> so that it can write the eps-image-name.tex file.  Then it complained
>> about missing tikzpicture, 
>
> That's because "example-image.tex" contains tikzpicture environment. So
> I infer that "example-image" isn't suitable to specify as an argument to
> \psfragfig.

I think this is a documented feature of pstool:

    \psfragfig <suffix> [<opts>] {<filename>}
    This catch-all macro is designed to support a wide range of graphics
    naming schemes.  It inserts an eps file named either
    <filename>-psfrag.eps or <filename>.eps (in that order of preference),
    and uses psfrag definitions contained within either
    <filename>-psfrag.tex or <filename>.tex.

IIUC, the problem is that the MWE provided is off.  This all needs a
file which provides psfrag macros which will be replaced in the .eps.
This is at least my understanding (and my apologies in advance if I'm
totally wrong here).

Best, Arash