Subject: bug#44556: 27.1; Ido deletes file without configuration with C-x C-v C-k

From: Morgan Willcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 12:44:07 +0000

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Christopher Sean Morrison <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>  It is good to remove the malfunction from key bindings. Better is to
>>  remove it completely.
>>
>> +1 on removing it completely.  That’s a dangerous binding considering it’s typically
>> “cut to end of line”.
>
> I've now done this in Emacs 29.

I happened across this bug report and was surprised by the end
result. To state my case for a different solution:

- The C-k functionality is one of the core features of ido-mode, as
  evidenced by the same feature being re-implemented to create fido-mode

- The C-k functionality is still present in fido-mode (although it can
  never silently delete a file) with the same key binding active by
  default

- ido-mode is not enabled by default and delete-by-moving-to-trash
  defaults to nil, therefore nothing is silently deleted by default

- "Upon installing Graphene (require 'graphene) which enables Ido
  everywhere". Surely this is the cause of the original issue and the
  Graphene package is at last partially responsible for the problem?

In order to keep the functionality would it be possible to revert the
change but introduce a new ido-mode configuration variable? This new
variable could be checked in place of delete-by-moving-to-trash to
indicate that silent deleting is allowed, and the default value can
prevent silent deleting unless the user enables it.

This would re-align with the fido-mode operation and also protect
against accidental deletions.

Thanks,
Morgan