Subject: Re: bug#44556: 27.1; Ido deletes file without configuration with C-x C-v C-k

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2020 21:35:40 +0100

Christopher Sean Morrison <[email-masked]> writes:

> As I said, I provided the recipe that affected me in the original
> report — see the “For example” line.  I do not know if this issue
> occurs in any other context, e.g., with/without Graphene and am not
> any more available to explore those possibilities.

I interpreted your bug report to say that you needed Graphene to
reproduce the problem, but I see now that you didn't really say that.

The recipe is:

touch file1 file2
emacs -Q -f ido-mode file1
C-x C-v C-k

Emacs will now say "Delete /tmp/file1 (yes or no)", and that is indeed
pretty surprising behaviour.

It's due to this:

(defvar ido-file-completion-map
[...]
    (define-key map "\C-k" 'ido-delete-file-at-head)

I had no idea that that existed -- I use ido myself, but not for files.

Anybody who uses ido for files here?  Do you really use this to delete
files?  It seems really odd to mix up file deletion into a file name
completion framework.

(Reopening this bug report.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no