Subject: [bug#44555] [PATCH] gnu: Add emacs-next-use-package

From: Andrew Tropin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 10:53:43 +0300

Cool news: John Wiegley made a new release a few hours ago, my patch is no
longer relevant, will make another one, which just bumps the version to
2.4.1.

> Normally, we try to install optional packages per default.
> Sometimes, it's not so easy and one has to weigh up...
>
> Maybe the use-case for use-package is so that diminish is very often
> needed?  Or for too many users, it would be "useless" (or break
> something), w/o it?
>
>
> Imho (I don't have commit superpower), you need a reason to remove an
> input (and here, this means provided/out of the box experience).  Or at
> least make a comment in the source _why_ it isn't needed etc...

I will give you a simple example: Someone uses delight (a diminish
alternative, which also support major modes) instead of diminish and
they would install emacs-use-package and emacs-delight, but he will also
get emacs-diminsh as a dependency of emacs-use-package. To remove it
they will need to inherit emacs-use-package and update
propagated-inputs.

I think installing emacs-use-package and manually adding emacs-diminish
is easier and more fair than installing emacs-use-package+emacs-delight
and removing emacs-diminish from dependencies of emacs-use-package.

I totally agree, that diminish is a great package with a great story
inside its sources, but don't think it should be installed by default
with use-package.

I'll make a separate patch for removing propagated-inputs and related
discussion.

Bump patch in the attachment.

-- 
Best regards,
Andrew Tropin
From 7f725f6c1b8a0e724002ac67c5e26a8df747ad6b Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Andrew Tropin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 10:48:30 +0300
Subject: [PATCH] gnu: emacs-use-package: Update to 2.4.1

use-package 2.4 released 2 years ago and doesn't work with GNU Emacs 28.
2.4.1 contains mostly bug fixes and works with emacs-next.
---
 gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm | 4 ++--
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm b/gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm
index d27d397775..b8ab78edf8 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm
@@ -11131,7 +11131,7 @@ abbreviation of the mode line displays (lighters) of minor modes.")
 (define-public emacs-use-package
   (package
     (name "emacs-use-package")
-    (version "2.4")
+    (version "2.4.1")
     (source (origin
               (method git-fetch)
               (uri (git-reference
@@ -11140,7 +11140,7 @@ abbreviation of the mode line displays (lighters) of minor modes.")
               (file-name (git-file-name name version))
               (sha256
                (base32
-                "1b7mjjh0d6fmkkd9vyj64vca27xqhga0nvyrrcqxpqjn62zq046y"))))
+                "088kl3bml0rs5bkfymgzr15ram9qvy66h1kaisrbkynh0yxvf8g9"))))
     (build-system emacs-build-system)
     (native-inputs
      `(("texinfo" ,texinfo)))
-- 
2.25.4