Subject: Re: bug#44554: 27.1; Feature request: SRFI-62 style comments for Emacs Lisp.

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 13:24:07 +0000

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> The question is whether this feature is useful enough to warrant the
>> pain inflicted, and...  I guess there isn't all that much enthusiasm for
>> it?  To me it sounds more like "that'd be neat" instead of "yeah, I can
>> see myself using it all the time".
>
> FWIW, I for one would appreciate SRFI-62 style comments.  I often find
> myself commenting out otherwise valid sexps, and the added convenience
> would be nice.  Just today I had a debugging session where they would
> have definitely made things a bit more comfortable, especially given
> that they nest easily.
>
> That said, I won't exactly bring out the torches and pitchforks if the
> proposal gets rejected.
>
> (I don't have enough experience with Common Lisp to say much about the
> #||#-comments.)

My 2 cents,

I like the idea of a dedicated syntax to comment out sexps.

That said I believe `comment-dwim' solves already this problem to a good
degree for me.

given:

(foo (bar))

having as a region '(bar)' M-; produces

(foo ;; (bar)
     )

I indeed use it quite frequently.

  Andrea