Subject: bug#44550: 28.0.50; proposal for tabulated-list-mode to provide narrowing incremental search

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 22:57:35 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> [2020-11-10 18:57]:
> > Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 13:36:03 +0300
> > From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
> > 
> > I have asked author if narrowing incremental search feature could be
> > included in tabulated-list-mode. He asked me to file bug report for
> > that proposal and I include last part of conversation here:
> 
> Could you please explain what you mean by "narrowing incremental
> search feature"?  You only explained it in the terms of
> tabulated-list-mode, and even then I don't think I understand what
> it's supposed to do.

Drew also suggested to express that more precise. Context is similar
to ivy-mode or helm or icomplete or ido, etc.

- imagine list of items in tabulated-list-mode

- user press / to open up the feature (real time incremental narrowing)

- when user starts typing the list of items in tabulated-list-mode are
  narrowing themselves visually and in real time. It is very similar
  to completion networks.

Then I can use it for browsing trees of knowledge and narrowing huge
index lists. Video below shows using tabulated-list-mode to brows the
three of knowledge (17M): 

https://gnu.support/images/2020/11/2020-11-10/2020-11-10-20:10:49.ogv

In general I would like to have direct real time incremental narrowing
of collection instead of blowing up minibuffer, making modeline jump
up and down with ivy-mode and splitting windows.

Interface would be clean just as tabulated-list-mode is and minibuffer
could be used for narrowing.