Subject: Re: bug#44545: Many Test Failures @3d62df2

From: Jacob Bachmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 21:36:40 -0600

Fred Wright wrote:
> The built-in tests are currently failing on multiple platforms.  The 
> attached cases cover three versions of Linux (run on VMs), plus one on 
> OSX (native).  Also note that the CentOS and Fedora cases return zero 
> exit statuses in spite of the failures.

The CentOS and Fedora test runs correctly return successful exit 
status:  some of the launcher tests are not being run because the test 
driver is detecting that the testing environment has not been properly 
set up.  They are reported as "unsupported" tests when this occurs, 
since this condition was expected to indicate that symbolic links are 
unavailable.

You are correct that the testing environment should be properly set up 
and the tests should run on GNU/Linux systems, assuming that the 
filesystem in use supports symlinks.  The cause was traced to misuse of 
relative file names when constructing symbolic links and should be fixed 
in current master at Savannah as of commit 
e14ab2646f02530efb93037f1fee5c20f5af4121.  This should resolve the issue 
on Fedora and CentOS, and help to narrow the scope for the issues on 
Ubuntu and MacOS X.

To debug the remaining issues, I will also need the .sum and .log files 
produced by DejaGnu for the failing tests.  If current master fixes the 
test environment errors (resolving the issues observed on Fedora and 
CentOS) and all else remains the same, I will need the 
report-card.{log,sum} files from an Ubuntu run and the 
{launcher,report-card}.{log,sum} files from a MacOS X run to further 
investigate this issue.

-- Jacob