Subject: bug#44520: Graphical installer issues on 1.2.0.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2020 19:06:58 +0100

Hi,

Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I tried the 1.2.0 graphical installer at ae0fe28, installing Guix System
> from a usb drive to another one.
>
> I had three issues:
>
> * The auto partitioning crashed, backtrace as attachment.

Argh.

> * Using manual partitioning as a work-around, I started the installation
> and observed that the installer downloaded "python" sources and then
> substitutes for the whole bootstrapping chain (also as attachment).

Could it be that these get downloaded due to some “debug” output being
pulled (perhaps unnecessarily so but grafting can do that sometimes)?

> * The substitutes download speed was sometimes super low (~ 50Kb/s).

Yes, unfortunately non-offloaded disk image builds (fixed by recent
commits) along with GC running all day long has a terrible impact on
bandwidth.

It should get a bit better at least now that disk image builds will no
longer happen on the head node, but OTOH there’s still a lot of build
activity happening and that definitely increases pressure.

I look forward to the day where using the Build Coordinator we can
better decouple the build farm from the node running ‘guix publish’.

Thanks,
Ludo’.