Subject: Re: 28.0.50; Can't unselect minibuffer window

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2020 14:02:14 +0000

Hello, Michael.

On Sun, Nov 08, 2020 at 13:28:29 +0100, Michael Heerdegen wrote:

> Hello,

> since some days, I experience the following issue: when I call

>   (read-from-minibuffer "Enter something: ")

> and select a different window, ....

With the mouse?  With C-x o?

> .... the minibuffer window automatically gets re-selected after a
> short period of time.

How short?  0.5s, 2s, 10s?  Knowing this might help identify the
associated timer.

> I did not yet figure out how to reproduce for emacs -Q; with the
> default settings, it is not reproducible there.

> With my setup, the issue gets fixed when I do

>   (setq minibuffer-follows-selected-frame nil)

Thanks.  That suggests, vaguely, that the problem might be in the
function move_minibuffer_onto_frame (in src/minibuf.c), which takes no
action when minibuffer-follows-selected-frame is nil.

> I CC Alan hoping 2ecbf4cfae, "Allow minibuffer to stay in its original
> frame.  Tidy up this area." is related and he can help so that I can
> get around finding a recipe or digging further (well, it's Sunday).

I strongly suspect your bug and that patch are related.  Despite it
being Sunday, could you perhaps nevertheless dig around a bit in the
hope of finding a recipe.

Thanks!

> TIA,

> Michael.

> In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 94, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.23, cairo version 1.16.0)
>  of 2020-11-08 built on drachen
> Repository revision: 1b2fde216cf9328578b6a6a9a8ce0ce51035304c
> Repository branch: master
> Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12008000
> System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid

> Configured features:
> XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
> INOTIFY LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ ZLIB
> TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2

> Important settings:
>   value of $LC_ALL: de_DE.utf8
>   value of $LC_COLLATE: C
>   value of $LC_TIME: C
>   value of $LANG: de_DE.utf8
>   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).