Subject: Re: bug#44509: 28.0.50; Error querying with new gnus-search and notmuch

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 16:29:41 -0800

jao <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 11 2020, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> I see, I had your problem backwards. My guess is that no one has tried
>> to do this before, so the issue has never come up.
>>
>> BTW, while there's no longer a "gmane" search engine, it would be nice
>> to provide an engine for searching other nntp servers. In your case
>> you're running it locally, but do you know if a remote leafnode server
>> handles any sort of search functionality? (I might as well google this
>> myself.)
>
> No, i don't think leafnode does anything of the sort (it's old, from
> simpler times, and kind of opinionated on a minimal feature set).

That's what my googling indicated, too :)

[...]

>> For nnimap, it's `nnimap-find-article-by-message-id'.
>
> Well, that function is contacting back the imap server and asking for a
> (simple) search, so it's going to be very roundabout even if it finally
> works (i cannot manage to make it work for me, although i'm surely doing
> something wrong and its implementation not trivial).  

Right, that's what I meant by the search probably negating any speedups
you'd get from using notmuch.

> fst-xapian doesn't look that bad, after all (actually, i was confusing
> it with solr or elastic which need independent servers and are too
> heavyweight for me.) :)

I think it's great! You make sure a package is installed, then add a
single line to your dovecot config, then never think about it again.

Eric